Purchasing a PC
Computer specifications for students
2015 - 2016
This information is not intended for incoming APDesign freshman. First year students will not use a computer for studio work.
We have a special price negotiated through the K-State Union Computer Store and Dell for the computers listed below. To receive this price students must purchase these systems directly from the K-State Union Computer Store either in person or by calling the store at 785-532-7319.
Dell Precision T1700 - $1499.00
- Precision T1700 Midtower Chassis
- Intel Xeon E3-1241 v3 (Quad core HT, 3.50GHz turbo)
- 16GB (2x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3 ram
- Nvidia Quadro K2200 4GB
- Primary HD: 1TB 7200RPM SATA drive
- Secondary HD: 1TB 7200RPM SATA drive
- Integrated NIC, no additional network card
- 16x DVD-ROM drive
- Dell wired KB & mouse
- Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit
- 4 years ProSupport and limited hardware warranty plus service
Dell Precision M6800 - $2349.00
- Intel Core i7-4710MQ (Quad core 2.50GHz, 3.50GHz turbo, 6MB 47W with HD graphics 4600)
- 16GB (2x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3L ram
- Nvidia Quadro K2200 2GB GDDR5
- Primary HD: 2.5" 1TB 7200RPM SATA drive
- Secondary HD: 2.5" 1TB 7200RPM SATA drive
- Dell Wireless 1550 2x2 802.11ac
- Bluetooth 4.0
- 17.3" Ultrasharp FHD (1920x1080)
- 9 cell (97Wh) lithium Ion battery with express charge
- 8x DVD-ROM drive
- Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit
- 4 years ProSupport and limited hardware warranty plus service plus accidental damage service
- Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
Included with Dell systems listed above.
Also available FREE through APDesign DreamSpark.
- Microsoft Office.
Available FREE through K-State Office 365 Webmail.
- Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Autodesk applications offered via the Autodesk Education Community.
Available FREE at: http://students.autodesk.com.
It is recommended to wait until you have received the syllabus from your instructor before downloading and installing Autodesk applications.
Available FREE at: http://www.sketchup.com/
- Google Earth.
Available FREE at: http://earth.google.com/
- K-State Antivirus Software.
Available FREE at: http://antivirus.k-state.edu/
Additional software may be specified in your instructor’s course syllabus.
Software can be purchased from the K-State Union Computer Store at academic discounts.
Note: When you come to college, bring copies of your operating system, office suite and other software installation media (including product keys and licenses) in case a reformat or reinstall becomes necessary.
If a virus or other malware compromises your computer, the system will be blocked from accessing the network until it has been repaired. Once infected, often the only repair procedure accepted is to reformat the computer’s hard drive.
Protect your investment from accidental damage or theft. Check with your homeowner’s or renter’s insurance and verify coverage, recommend purchase of a separate policy for your equipment if necessary.
- Color printer.
11” x 17” capability encouraged
NOTE! The K-State Computer store does not carry the systems in stock, these are special order and may take two weeks to ship.