Interior Architecture & Product Design
Awards and Honors
Academic Year 2014-2015
- Board of Directors: Department Head, Kathy Ankerson, has been invited to sit on the Board of Directors for the Nuckolls Fund for Lighting Education.
- AWFS Fresh Air Competition: Two IAPD Students were selected as Finalists to the competition for their furniture pieces. Their work is photographed and included in the Conference Publication; and each were awarded travel and lodging to attend as well as the shipping of their furniture.
- Herman Miller Video Contest: 5th year student Rutvik Date won 3rd Place and $1,000 in the 2015 Student Video Contest: "What's Next in Learning Spaces?"
- Center for Conflict Studies: Katrina Lewis has been accepted to the Summer Peacebuilding Program in Monterery, California in August 2015.
- Rotary Peace Symposium: Katrina Lewis participated in the Rotary Peace Symposium in Sao Paulo, Brazil from June 4-5, 2015. The three day event included five plenary sessions with renowned speakers (including Dr. Oscar Arias, Nobel Laureate and former President of Costa Rice) and four breakout sessions led by Rotary Peace Fellows. Leading up to the event, an 'UnConference' was held, allowing Peace Fellows to reconnect with each other and share ideas for leveraging the power of almost 1000 Peace Fellows now working in peace and conflict resolution worldwide.
- Faculty Awards: Associate Professor Ryadi Adityavarman was awarded an Incentive Grant through the Office of International Programs for his co-host proposal Kansas State University & University Parahyanhan Bamboo Design Workshop.
- Rotary Peace Presentation: Associate Professor Vibhavari Jani was invited to speak at Topeka High School in March to share her Rotary Peace Fellowship experience. She discussed her time living in Thailand and visiting Cambodia while on her fellowship. The presentation allowed her to discuss how topics such as art, architecture, family and political structures can promote peace around the world.
- Poster Presentation: Associate Professor Ryadi Adityavarman was awarded Best Poster Presentation at the National Interior Design Educator's Council (IDEC) conference for his poster Teaching Freehand Analytical Drawing: Strategy and Pedagogy based on Polanyian Philosophy of Knowledge for Millennia Design Students.
- National Student Competition Grand Prize Winner: Fourth Year student Emma Montgomery's entry won her the top prize in the Steelcase NEXT competition. Nearly 800 Students competed nationally and only 98 entries were sent to the panel of judges. Emma was one of 5 semi-finalists who were flown to Grand Rapids, MI where she presented her project to the judges. Read more about the competition and her prizes.
- Student Competitions: Third year student Emma Cole was awarded the first place prize in the annual Photo Competition for their Landscape and Architectural details category for her photo "Dramatic Exit."
- Faculty Awards: Professor Ryadi Adityavarman, in conjunction with LARCP's Lorn Clements was awarded the 2015 Academic Excellence Fund for the Architectural Drawing Workshop series and creation of a new drawing course.
- 10 Year Alumni Honoree: Annually the college of APDesign honors the work of one student who graduated 10-years prior. This year, IAPD honored Brian Pelcak from the 2004 class. Brian works at PGAV Destinations in St. Louis and gave two outstanding presentations which looked at his work and path he took to get to the position he is in currently.
- National Rankings: Design Intelligence released their 15th annual Program Rankings. IAPD landed in the #1 spot for Graduate Program in the Midwest, #4 spot for most admired program (voted on by interior design deans and department heads) and #7 in the nation. The programs are ranked based on the feedback they receive from companies regarding their perceptions of how well colleges prepare their graduates for professional experiences. Kansas State is one of two public universities to be on the list. The ranking echos the hard work the faculty puts into their teaching and preparation they give to each student.
- Rotary Peace Fellow: Professor Ryadi Adityavarman was awarded a Rotary Peace Fellowship for Summer 2015. He is the third IAPD faculty member to receive this award and will be spending the summer at the Rotary Peace Center at Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok, Thailand. This opportunity will give him the chance to study the core of conflict and peace and be at the forefront of how the role design can play in resolution (which is an emerging and important field).
- IDEC Regional Conference: IAPD hosted this year's Midwest Regional Conference for the Interior Design Educators Council (IDEC). The conference was titled "Design+Make: Process Inextricably Linked" and included presentations as well as hands-on demonstrations such as glass-making and 3D printing.
- Color & Couture Win: The IAPD IIDA chapter collaborated and won two of the six awards at Kansas City's Second Annual Color and Couture Competition. The competition challenges teams to create a high fashion garment out of a manufacture’s material. The team was given Bentley Carpet. They unraveled the fibers and wove them together to make a top and shirt with the theme "tribal" in mind. The team won the "People's Choice" and "Judge's Choice" awards. There were 35 total competitors; only 5 teams were made up by students while the other 30 were professional firms.