Master of Architecture
Admission to the post-baccalaureate track of the first-professional Master of Architecture program requires the following. All application materials must be submitted online via the Graduate School website. No hard copy applications or supporting documentation will be accepted.
The priority deadline for domestic applicants is February 1 for the fall semester.
The deadline for international applicants is January 1 for the fall semester.
A baccalaureate degree
A 3.0 graduate point average or higher on a 4.0 scale or GPA of 3.0 in the last 60 hours of coursework.
Transcripts: Please include official transcripts from any institution of higher education you have attended. If the transcripts are not in English, a translated copy to English must be provided.
Meet the prerequisite checklist: Competition of the following courses in previous higher education
- Art/Design Studio: 3 credit hours
- Art Appreciation/History: 3 credit hours
- College Algebra or higher: 3 credit hours
- College Physics with a Laboratory Component: 4 credit hours
- Expository Writing: 3 credit hours
- Public Speaking: 2 credit hours
Letter of intent: Please upload a brief (500-1000 words) essay expressing your interest in the profession of architecture and in specific K-State's Master of Architecture program. Why does the field of architecture appeal to you? How might your previous academic, professional, and/or life experience contribute or otherwise relate to your studies? Keep in mind that the letter of intent may be viewed as a sample of your writing style and ability.
Resume: One to two pages
Supplemental materials: Applicants must include 3 to 5 examples of academic, professional, or personal work that may include critical or creative writing samples, personal art, photography, or other creative projects.
Letters of recommendation: Three letters of recommendation from professors and/or employers
Pay the application fee ($65 Domestic, $75 International)
TOEFL/IELTS scores (international students): Applicants who are submitting iBT TOEFL (internet based) scores must have a minimum total score of 95. Applicants who are submitting an IELTS score must have a minimum total score of 7.0.
Financial statement (international students)
- Advanced Standing Option for Pre-Professional Degree Holders: If you have or will graduate from a 4 year pre-professional architecture degree program offered by a NAAB-Accredited school, you may be eligible for advanced standing. Advanced standing students generally are able to waive the first and second semesters of the Post-Baccalaureate Program. Extremely qualified students may be placed further along in the program.
Students opting for advanced standing will be reviewed based on their submitted portfolio and transcript. Advanced standing students must prove they have taken coursework equivalent to or better than the required curriculum of the semester(s) they are not taking at K-State. Submitted evidence MUST include syllabi from the courses the student has taken. For more information, and for syllabi of K-State technical coursework, see here: