MONDAY MEMO 09.23.13
LA l RCP Advisory Council will be on campus Sept. 26-27. Please review this agenda with revised dinner times on Wednesday and Thursday.
Access to Maya from off campus is now available--see the instructions at the end of this memo.
Faculty mentors to students will be assigned soon. The plan this year is to assign mentors to the NB 2nd, 3rd and PB 1st year students. We will need 8 LA faculty and 4 RCP faculty for this year's group of students. Please let Jayna know by September 30 if you are interested in serving as a faculty mentor for this year.
OUR CONTRIBUTIONS AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Assistant Professor Jason Brody presented "How five students from three universities in the midwest won the Urban Land Institute Gerald D. Hines Student Urban Design Competition (and what the competition taught them about urban design, teamwork, and themselves," at the AIA-Kansas annual conference in Lawrence, KS on Sept. 12.
Congratulations to our two Kansas APA Horizon Award Winners:
- The Planning in Pop Culture class radio show, led by Assistant Professors Huston Gibson and Kate Nesse and Associate Professor La Barbra Wigfall
- The LAR 442 Spring 2013 Wichita Metropolitan Studio project, led by Associate Professor Belanger and Assistant Professor Hunt.
The awards presentation will be during the Kansas Planning Conference in Manhattan, at the luncheon on Friday, Oct. 4.
How to connect to Maya from off-campus:
1. Install the VPN software on the computer you use away from campus. It provides a secure "tunnel" between your computer and the Virtual Private Network on campus by using encryption and authentication. This is important if you work on hotel, coffee shop and other public networks and is required to access Maya from off campus.
2. Connect to Maya
- Choose Start from the Taskbar
- From the pop up menu, in the Search field, type the server name:
- Press the Enter or Return key from your keyboard
Mac OS X:
- Choose Go from the Finder toolbar
- Choose Connect to Server from the drop down menu
- In the Connect to Server box, in the Server Address field, type the server name: smb://maya.arch.ksu.edu
- Choose Connect
Enter your college account username and password if prompted.
Contact Don Crawford for assistance if you have any questions or problems.
DEADLINES AND EVENTS
MEETINGS AND DEADLINES
Mon Sept 23, Promotion and Tenure Presentation, Brody, Seaton 106c, 5:30 pm
Tues Sept 24, Mid-Tenure Presentation, Beamish, Seaton 106c, 5:30 pm
Wed Sept 25, Mid-Tenure Presentation, Nawre, Seaton 106c, 5:30 pm
Thurs Sept 26, LARCP Faculty Meeting CANCELLED
Thurs Sept 26, LARCP Standing Committee Meetings with Advisory Council, Seaton 106c and 105, 1:30 - 3:30 pm
Fri Sept 27, LARCP Advisory Council Report to Faculty and Students, Pierce Commons, 1:00 - 2:00 pm
Thurs Oct 3, LA Faculty Meeting, Seaton 106c, 12:30 - 1:30 pm
Tues Oct 8, Tenure Faculty Meeting, Seaton 301, 10 am - 12:30 pm
Thurs Oct 10, RCP Faculty Meeting, Seaton 106c, 12:30 - 1:30 pm
Tues Oct 15, Tenured Faculty Meeting, Seaton 301, 10 am - 12:30 pm
Thurs Oct 17, LARCP Faculty Meeting, Seaton 106c, 12:30 - 1:30 pm
Thurs Oct 24, LARCP Faculty Meeting, Seaton 106c, 12:30 am - 1:30 pm
Mon Oct 28, May and August Intersession proposals due to Stephanie
Thurs - Fri Sept 26 - 27, LARCP Advisory Council
Mon Sept 30, Judith Major's Lecture, Union Little Theater, 4:50 pm
Fri Oct 3-4, Kansas APA Meeting, Manhattan Hilton Garden Inn
Fri-Mon Oct 4-7, Beamish Specialization Studio Trip to Blanche Nuit, Toronto
Mon Oct 14, RCP Distinguished Lecture, Chuck Marohn
Wed Nov 6, RCP Ekdahl Lecture, Ken Greenberg
Sat Nov 9, APDesign Research Symposium with Linda Sorrento, Executive Director of the National Academy of Environmental Design
Planning in Pop Culture 91.9 Show
The Meadow Blog
planpop: the City Planning & POP Culture Blog